The Bay Area Conference of Associates and Religious (BACAR, Inc.) is a network of women and men associates and religious who gather together for prayer, mutuality, inspiration, support and friendship. To facilitate these goals BACAR sponsors discussion groups, conferences, and a website. These activities create opportunities for promoting, developing and nurturing lay-religious relationships, community and ministries in the San Francisco and Monterey Bay Areas. Associates and Members of Religious Institutes can remain connected and share information on issues that are connected to the many ministries of the Church.
- Who are Religious? Religious are men and women who answer God’s Call by committing their life to a distinct charism and ministry within the Church.
- Who are Associates? Associates are men and women who answer God’s Call by choosing to walk with religious in the charism and ministry of their congregation within the Church.
*The scallop shell is a symbol of baptism and it also symbolizes the starting points from which pilgrims begin their journey, all drawn to a single point at the base of the shell. This shell reminds us of our journey as associates and religious, all drawing closer to union with each other and our God.
• Prayer – our active communication with God
• Mutuality – the shared relationship between each of us, for the mutual benefit of all of us
• Inspiration – literally, “breathing in” the grace of God
• Friendship – knowing, esteeming and loving each other.
Current Members of BACAR Board – 2020
- Judy Borland, Holy Names Associate – Co-director
- Kathy Noether, Notre Dame Associate – Co-director
- Rose Lue – board member
- Marilee Hearn, RSCJ Associate – board member
- Kathi Goodman, Holy Family Associate – treasurer
- Sister Marie Annette Burkart, SNDdeN – board member
- Dolores Nice, Mercy Associate – board member
- Enrique Mireles, Mercy-Burlingame Associate – board member
- Carmella Huser, BVM Associate, board member